Friday, June 14, 2013

Ramen Noodle Stir-Fry

I'm just going to start out by saying this is probably one of the most simple and delicious things that I have ever made.

I've seen multiple recipes for ramen noodle stir-fry, which gave me the idea to try my own. It ended up being a throw together recipe with a few things that were laying around the house, so this recipe could be easily customized to whatever meats and vegetables you prefer. 


I started out by boiling water for the ramen noodles while I began cooking the chicken, green onion, broccoli, and cauliflower tossed with some canola oil.


Once the water has begun to boil, cook the ramen noodles for about three minutes (until cooked thoroughly). Continue frying the vegetables and meat.


Once the noodles are cooked, partially drain the water until about a cup remains. Stir in the seasoning packet from the ramen noodles, and then pour the noodles and seasoned water in with the rest of the stir-fry.

I used beef flavored ramen along with the chicken. This gave the stir-fry a delicious flavoring.


Continue cooking until the liquid is almost absorbed, let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!

 This dish is perfect for a quick dinner or lunch as it requires little prep and cook time.

This recipe makes two servings.

It's also important to note that I didn't measure out ingredients carefully, this is more of a personal preference recipe! 

Ingredients:

One pack of ramen noodles and seasoning packet(I used beef flavored)
Two cups of water (for boiling noodles)
Approximately four ounces of pre-cooked chicken (I used Perdue carved chicken breast)
One cup cauliflower (raw and chopped)
One cup broccoli (raw and chopped)
Two green onions (chopped)
Approximately three tablespoons of canola oil

Recipe:
Boil two cups of water for the ramen noodles, and place the noodles in once boiling.
Place enough oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom, and place in the pre-cooked chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, and green onion. Cook the mix on medium-high heat.
Continue cooking the stir-fry until the vegetables and chicken are cooked and browned. Be sure to stir the mix frequently. (This should take about as long as it does to boil the water and cook the ramen noodles). 
When the ramen noodles are finished cooking (approximately three minutes in boiling water), drain out half the water. Mix in the seasoning packet, and then pour the seasoned water and noodles into the stir-fry pan.
Continue cooking until the water is almost cooked out. Allow to sit for a few minutes to allow the water to completely absorb.
Enjoy!

UPDATE:

Since this recipe was so delicious the first time, I decided to make it again. It turned out even better than the first time, and I didn't even think that was possible. I had different vegetables available this time, so it was also a little different. 


I fried chicken, broccoli stalks (chopped), green onions, and sliced baby bella mushrooms in the pan over medium heat, using a little canola oil and also Pam cooking spray. This worked out better than just using oil because the spray didn't cook into the vegetables, and allowed them to cook without drying out as easily. So basically, the vegetables were perfectly cooked and moist. I also added a few broccoli florets to cook in with the ramen noodles. I added the broccoli while the water was heating up so that it had enough time to cook through. 

When the water began boiling, I added in the ramen noodles (which I broke up first to allow for easier mixing). I also added the seasoning packet at this time after pouring out some extra water. This allowed the seasoning to cook into the noodles and broccoli florets better.

At this time, I also added spinach to the frying pan. Since spinach doesn't need long to cook, this allowed it to remain moist through the rest of the cooking process. 


Once the ramen noodles finished cooking, I poured the mix over the pan and allowed it to finish cooking until the liquid was absorbed. Delicious!


And the best part? It's filling, low calorie, and healthy! The nutritional information varies slightly based on vegetables used and amount of chicken, but by following the original recipe amounts and just changing the vegetables.. here's the nutritional information per serving (approximately 2 per pan)! Simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment